Sunday 18 October 2009

Travelling on the Randomness Express

Agatha Christie, the famous mystery writer and author of "Murder on the Orient Express", once said:

"Trains are wonderful.... To travel by train is to see nature and human beings, towns and churches and rivers, in fact, to see life."

And she wasn't wrong. Riding a train sure gives you a glimpse into human nature, and reminds you just how stupid people are.

A couple of examples:

Translation: "Look, little Jean Pierre...an umbrella...a bag...oh, and some Chinese people! What a special day this is!" FYI, Monsieur "I'm-teaching-my-son-to-be-a-racist-whilst-broadening-his-vocabulary", the guy next to me was Japanese.

And this next one happened to my Dad on the way from Mallaig to Glasgow:
Oh, are you an astronaut? No? It's just that I was reading an article on space travel and just assumed the next person I saw would be an astronaut. A simple mistake. Dumbarse. My dad doesn't even look Nepalese. Seriously, random much? (Btw, my dad doesn't actually have hydrocephalus, I just drew his head real big and mine real small)

Agatha Christie had some romantic thoughts on train travel. Don't get me wrong, I do too - it just involves me not sitting next to anyone and staring out the window.

No comments: